Current Forum: Forum > Magic: the Gathering > Trading

Would you like to trade with other members of this site? Post your wants and haves here.

Learn how to earn money for posting in our forums by reading: Forum Reward Summary

Post Thread

Best Way to Sell Bulk Commons/Uncommons
8/11/2009

DallasM
Last card

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
So, I've been wanting to sell off most of my collection (I've got a lot sitting around and I'd rather have new cards), but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500 commons/uncommons (I've officially counted just over 2700 and still have a large box to go). I took the logical steps and sorted them by block (pre-lorwyn, I have less of these) or by set (lorwyn through m10), and then by color. I'm estimating about a 4:1 common to uncommon ratio.

Most of the stuff post-Onslaught is near mint, with some of the older stuff showing normal wear and tear.

Now that I've got most of my sorting done, what is the best way for me to unload these? I've left some good cards in so I know the collection is worth SOMETHING at least.

Thanks for your help!
DallasM
My column may be done, but I can still help you with your deck. Drop me a line.

8/11/2009

CW
MTG Fanatic

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Unknown
I do this all the time. I have to thin out my collection periodically or it would overrun my apartment. I go through my rares to find ones that I no longer use (and probably won't ever again), duplicates, and the like, then I sell them as repacks on eBay until I'm out of rares. ...As in, I include c/u/r's in the repacks and sell those repacks until I have no rares left to put in them.

Then, I sell the rest of the commons/uncommons as a lot on ebay.

You make a decent chunk of change from doing repacks (I do 20 commons, 10 uncommons, 10 rares for 5 bucks...and that's a realllllly good deal for the people buying and I don't mind since they'd be otherwise unplayed.) The way you choose to do your repacks is obviously up to you...but it's a GREAT way to thin out the ol' collection while putting some more padding in your wallet.

8/11/2009

DallasM
Last card

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Cool, thanks for the tip.

8/12/2009

ringofhix
Planeswalker

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Expert
i usually take a bunch at a time to the local card shop n just give them to kids that are starting out... always try to get more people into the game.
*ITC member*

8/12/2009

DallasM
Last card

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
I'm a poor student though. The only thing I give away for free is STDs.

3/4/2010

EllE
Be polite. Be efficient.

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Unknown
I decided to get rid of some stuff as well, 450 commons and 75 uncommons, type 2.
I'm selling them on a danish ebay style(I think ebay actually owns it, not too sure)
So far, high bid is approx 31$

So, yeah, that might be a way to do it. Put some packs of common and uncommon together ~500, and sell of the lots.
(But, for some reason, bulk common/uncommon appear to be selling hot right now there. Everything else goes for way more than it should, too. T2 Crap rares(Cloven Casting, Sacellum Godspeaker, Archmage Ascension, Gwafa Hazid etc.) for an avg. of 1.4$)

I'd imagine the market over there being alot cheaper though.