Current Forum: Forum > Magic: the Gathering > Rules Questions

Got a rules question? Ask it here! There are many rules gurus that frequent our forum.

Learn how to earn money for posting in our forums by reading: Forum Reward Summary

Post Thread

Illusionist Bracers
6/11/2013

king juice
Mage

No Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Unknown
Illusionist's Bracers are something I don't really understand how they work...can I put them on krenko, mob boss and double the goblins twice...what else can I do...what can I no do...who am I type stuff

6/11/2013

BudderJay
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Illusionist's Bracers will put a second activation of Krenkos ability onto the stack.

The trick to think about is that each one resolves on it's on

so if you have 5 gobs in play the first krenko trigger will make 5 gobs, then the second one will make 10 gobs.

I have found a sweet spot for this card in Several of my EDH decks. Mayael the Anima putting in double duty sounds like an awesome plan. The deck also has a Godsire which was increadibly fun (for me at least).

Another spot I use it in is my Vorel of the Hull Clade. double-doubling sounds like fun stuff on an Eternity Vessel (of any other card in the deck for that fact)

ITC Acolyte - 14 successful trades. 0 trades in progress
My Trade Binder
Trade History
Spoiler (Click to View)

6/12/2013

Mindreaver
Skill Level: Jeff

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
To answer the question of how this is used, you need definitions for two things: activated abilities and mana abilities.

602.1. Activated abilities have a cost and an effect. They are written as "[Cost]: [Effect.] [Activation instructions (if any).]"

406.1. A mana ability is either (a) an activated ability without a target that could put mana into a player’s mana pool when it resolves or (b) a triggered ability without a target that triggers from a mana ability and could produce additional mana. A mana ability can generate other effects at the same time it produces mana.

"a" being the only one that matters in this example

That means, that illusionist bracers will give you double the effect, whenever you use the equipped creature's ability, if the ability is written as: "[Cost]: [Effect.] [Activation instructions (if any).]" and if the ability isn't a mana ability.

It doesn't work on LLanowar Elves, since it's ability is a mana ability.

It does work on Deathrite Shaman (for all abilities), since they target and add mana it's not a mana ability.

It doesn't work on Solemn Simulacrum, since it doesn't have any activated abilities. It has triggered abilities, but those are not written in COST : EFFECT form.

Proud Archmage of the ITC (58 completed trades, 3 trade in progress)
My Trade Binder

6/12/2013

king juice
Mage

No Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Unknown
I totally love the above information. thanks a whole bunch.