Current Forum: Forum > Magic: the Gathering > Constructed > Type 2 (Standard)

Anything pertaining to Standard (Type 2) play.

Learn how to earn money for posting in our forums by reading: Forum Reward Summary

Post Thread

Standard Human Deck
10/12/2011

sonic5467
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
I finally got around to making this decklist and I think that it could perform rather well. I wanted to keep this as close to innistrad humans as I could so I didn't have to replace many cards after the rotation next year. Without further ado, here is the list:

Creatures:
28 total
4x Champion of the Parish
4x Mayor of Avabruck
4x Mentor of the Meek
4x Hamlet Captain
4x Avacyn's Pilgrim
4x Elite Vanguard
2x Gideon's Lawkeeper
2x Mikaeus, the Lunarch

Spells:
10 total
3x Oblivion Ring
3x Gitaxian Probe
2x Nevermore
2x Dismember

Lands:
22 total
4x Razorverge Thicket
4x Gavony Township
7x Forest
7x Plains

Sideboard:
15 total
4x Fiend Hunter
3x Creeping Corrosion
3x Purify the Grave
2x Kessig Cagebreakers
2x Divine Reckoning
1x Stony Silence

10/12/2011

Riot
Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate
It's cool, I really enjoy that humans are a creature type. Well- One that you can base a whole deck around anyhow. The downside is the price of the cards. At least 4 cards in this deck were $5.99, I hope that will go down as the set becomes older. Otherwise, It's just too much money to build a good human deck.

Price aside, I like the deck, humans seem as though they'll flow together with minimal deck building efforts.

10/12/2011

Professor M
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Its a good deck, and very fun, but you should definitely be running Hero and Crusader. They're too good to pass up. I got fifth at my FNM with a similar build, and I didn't even have any Champion and only two Mentor of the Meek.
Alters! Successful trades:
Spoiler (Click to View)

-Acolyte(13) of ITC-

10/12/2011

pyro0415
New User

No Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
i have a human deck and i made it pure white so i could use honor the pure that card made a huge difference. i also used the artifact thing from 2012 that lets you chose a creature type when it comes into play and those creatures get plus 1 plus 1 so the humans ended up being really big and coming out extremly fast. hope this helps emoticon

10/12/2011

2nd_Generation//YoungBlood
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
some suggestions: hero of bladehold, mirran crusader, elite vangaurd, (mainboard) fiend hunter
*Member of the ITC*
"I'd say I play magic like a turtle;
slow and steady always wins the race"
-Dominic Anundsen

10/13/2011

Kyle
Arch-Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
ITC Mage: 27 Trades complete. I ship from Kentucky, USA.
I collect Descendants' Path and will trade for any, including foreign and especially foil.
Trade Binder

10/13/2011

funkytomtom
Arch-Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Expert
ITC Mage-27 Successful Trades

10/13/2011

funkytomtom
Arch-Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Expert
What's the idea behind Gitaxian Probe in this deck? I'm quite possibly missing something, but it seems less than useful outside of its interaction with Nevermore.
ITC Mage-27 Successful Trades

10/13/2011

q12w23e34
Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
I have a good red/white one if you want to see.
My Trade Binder
http://www.mtgfanatic.com/Forum/ViewDiscussion.aspx?ID=157196&Page=1&PageSize=25
ITC
Please Comment on my Current Deck Here
http://www.mtgfanatic.com/Forum/ViewDiscussion.aspx?ID=159271&Page=1&PageSize=25

10/13/2011

sonic5467
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
thanks for the suggestions. the gitaxian probe just gets you information about the opponent's hand so you name a card with nevermore; it's meant to be used against w/b or u/b control so you can prevent sweepers as those would kill your game plan.

10/13/2011

q12w23e34
Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
I have a good red/white one if you want to see. But yeah if your goin w/g you definitely want hero. Crusader is good. Make Mikaeus into hero because hero is usually better. When I tried Mikaeus he was too slow. adaptive automoton is better. It may be a little different name but it is still better. Don't worry about rotation you have a year. Also remove nevermore and gitaxian probe. add another 0-ring and something maybe like batterskull which I found for $10(score). Take creeping corrosion and kessig cagebreakers out of sideboard and put in revoke existance and celestieal purge. You want to mainboard the fiend hunter's or not at all. and you definitely want more stony silence. If you can also try to sideboard witchbane orbs and possibly acentism.
My Trade Binder
http://www.mtgfanatic.com/Forum/ViewDiscussion.aspx?ID=157196&Page=1&PageSize=25
ITC
Please Comment on my Current Deck Here
http://www.mtgfanatic.com/Forum/ViewDiscussion.aspx?ID=159271&Page=1&PageSize=25

10/13/2011

Dakkon
Planeswalker

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
kyle beat me to it... sunpetal grove is WAY better than razorverge thicket
MEMBER OF THE ITC (Rank: ARCHMAGE)

DECKS

Trade Binder

WANTS

10/13/2011

Dakkon
Planeswalker

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
kyle beat me to it... sunpetal grove is WAY better than razorverge thicket
MEMBER OF THE ITC (Rank: ARCHMAGE)

DECKS

Trade Binder

WANTS

10/13/2011

BigDaddyDre
FFA Beatdown King

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Angelic Overseer x1 may be fun to experiment with. Already mentioned, however, I will give another nod to Mirran Crusader and Hero of Bladehold.
Proud Canadian and Fanatic. I am one of MtGFanatic's moderators.
President of the ITC, Archmage - 250 Trades completed with 105 different members
Trade threads
Dre's Trade Gallery

Trader Reputation
Spoiler (Click to View)

10/13/2011

Gauge
Master Debater

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
your lack of Hero of Bladehold disturbs me.
I'd T Symbol that

Trades

10/14/2011

master blaster
2 Men Enter, 1 Man Leaves

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
do you see how Mayor of Avabruck and Mentor of the Meek work against each other?

the continuous +1/+1 boost from Mayor means that many of the weenie creatures will have more than 2 power when they enter play thus nullifying the Mentor's ability to draw cards. not to mention that when Mayor transforms, all of your human creatures will suddenly lose that +1/+1 bonus and the transformed Mayor won't get human bonuses from cards like Hamlet Captain.

imho, Mayor of Avabruck only belongs in a Werewolf deck. if you want a 'human' lord then use Adaptive Automaton, but it will have the same issues with Mentor of the Meek.

running Mentor or the Meek means not running static power boosts in the deck. it's a tough compromise, but the deck should get enough boost from Hamlet Captain, Mikaeus, and Gavony Township that it won't be a problem to remove the lords.

for the spells, I would suggest running a full set of Oblivion Ring and Beast Within. Beast Within is one of the best control cards in standard now. not using it is a major mistake.

for the lands, 4 Gavony Township is too many. I'd run 2, maybe 3 at the most.
If you play MTG (or any game) just to win, then you are missing the point of playing.

10/16/2011

sonic5467
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Thanks again for the help. Once I get around to it, I will post up a modified decklist to see what you guys think. I also asked about that issue and now that It was explained a little bit more I understand how it works. The judge that I talked to said that when the creature enters the battlefield, it will get pumped up before the mentor looks at it, and that is why it does not work. MasterBlaster I greatly appreciate it that you pointed out that flaw in the deck before I traded for any of the cards; Thanks man! Just one more question though, what should I take out to make room for the new stuff?

10/16/2011

master blaster
2 Men Enter, 1 Man Leaves

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
you could use the Battle cry bonus of Accorder Paladin and Hero of Bladehold. those Battle cry bonuses along with Hamlet Captain should give the deck plenty of punch in combat. however, the Paladin and Hero have too high power to draw cards with Mentor of the Meek.

imho, Mikaeus is too slow, but it's still an option to consider.

Spare from Evil allows your creatures to bypass potential blockers, although there are so many human creatures in standard now it may not be the best option.

on the green side, Travel Preparations is a viable option. after using flashback you get a total of 4 +1/+1 counters distributed among up to four creatures for just 4 mana. but it's a sorcery so it lacks the surprise of an instant speed card.

Elder of Laurels is another viable option. it's 2 power means you can draw a card from Mentor of the Meek. in a creature heavy weenie swarm deck, the Elder of Laurels has huge potential at instant speed ability, and it does not require the Elder to tap.

Triumph of the Hordes is always attractive for a weenie swarm deck.

if you want to try equipment, Silver-Inlaid Dagger gives your human creature +3/+0 for just 1 casting cost and 2 equip cost.

If you play MTG (or any game) just to win, then you are missing the point of playing.

10/16/2011

sonic5467
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
ok. I did end up trading for 4 Hero of Bladehold today, so that will allow for a double cantrip with the mentor which will be really nice. Other than that, I will work on a decklist and post it.

10/18/2011

Lord Kermit
Squire

No Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate
While there are definately a million ways to do this; I offer you one suggestion based on what I encountered building a similar deck...

I started with W SymbolG Symbol Human/Werewolf theme... after my 3rd draft and the bulk of the cards needed... I wound up splitting my idea into two. W SymbolHuman, and G SymbolR SymbolWerewolf. I found it to be too tedious and tiresome to mix werewolfs and humans. Especially with the spells Full Moon's Rise, Moonmist, and for as long as its still standard Asceticism.

With my W Symbol Humans I built up around Elite Inquisitor and Geist-Honored Monk. Threw in some Puresteel Paladin, Accorder Paladin and the spells Bonds of Faith, Pacifism, Spare from Evil. Butcher's Cleaver rounded out this deck. There are other cards involved but this was the general idea.

10/18/2011

klink
Arch-Mage

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate
Im not giving a suggestion but just a thought to discuss.
Why not U SymbolW Symbol human? There is the Invisible Stalker.
with some of the equipment meant for Humans i think it should work well.
Geist-Honored Monk can also pair with Æther Adept (also a human)