Current Forum: Forum > Magic: the Gathering > Casual > Deckbuilding

Do you need do develop your deckbuilding skills for Casual play? Post your questions here.

Learn how to earn money for posting in our forums by reading: Forum Reward Summary

Post Thread

Moc065 -- From Pauper to Proper
5/25/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
OK, this started out as a way to build myself a Pauper Deck that works, and I thought that I was on to something unique. Ha Ha. I saw very quickly that my idea was old, and that plenty of guys had a lot more card knowledge than I had; I puched through me idea though and ove the last couple months i put this deck together and it works. I recently saw a lot of intermittent discussion on the same sort of topic, so I figured I might right up an article to get my thoughts straightened out; but also possibly hel other.

So here is the Goal. To build a Pauper Deck (all Commons) that can be used to build/modle into a proper "Legacy Deck" as I gather the stronger, cheaper mana cost, faster cards (you know, the Money cards). This will allow me (or anyone else) to start with a very low budget (40-50 bucks) and work a deck into a Legacy beast over time. Anyway, a few weeks of questions and research got me to actually assemble and use the deck below "moc065 Pauper Zoo"

[Error: Invalid DeckID Format]

Now I will go into the cards I selected and why; and then some possible cards for future use as I gather them and transform the deck from "Pauper Zoo" to "Proper Zoo".

Mana Base is one of the most important parts of any deck as even a little off on the ratios and you can be in serious trouble. This will be a Naya Zoo so that is G SymbolR SymbolW Symbol in color and I use 1/3 as my starting ratio for mana; but with 3 colors I figured that I better up that to at least 23. Play testing will let me know how cracked my original idea will be.
23 Land
3x Evolving Wilds
3x Terramorphic Expanse
3x Naya Panorama
-- I need ways to get the correct land, and eventually these will be replaced with Fetchlands like 3x Arid Mesa, 3x Wooded Foothills, and 3x Windswept Heath, but for now it will have to the good old fasioned common lands as they can actually do the job in a slower manner.

4x Forest
6x Mountain
4x Plains
-- Hey I actually like basic lands, and I did consider 5 of each to begin with; but I found that the deck evolved into being a little more R Symbol heavy so I adjusted accordingly. Eventually I will have the big Dual Lands like 3x Plateau, 3x Savannah, and 3x Taiga, but due to the rampant use of wastelands and other Hate cards for those Dual Lands, I will always retain 1 Forest, 2 Mountains, and 1 Plains; as I feel that when I get those Dual Lands in place I may be able to trim the mana base down to 22 lands.

20 Creatures as my focus will be on beatdown, I felt that I needed a good 1/3 of my deck to be creatures, so 20 was a good number to start with. It was no big super idea or anything like that, I just felt that I needed about every 3rd card in hand to be a beat-stick of some sort. So with that in mind, here is where I began (but understand that I certainly did consider a host of other creatures as well).

4 x Qasali Pridemage
-- This little dude has great BMI (Body Mass Index) as he is a 2/2 for a mere 2 mana; oh did I mention that he can really help you to fix up an enemy artifact or enchantment, and when I say fix of course I do mean get rid of. He is so good in fact that I routinely see him as a Legacy Staple for some of the big name decks such as Zoo. And while he is not always in the main deck, he at least warrents Sideboard consideration, so getting my set will be a great investment since he will have multiple deck usage.

4 x Wild Nacatl
-- Another little dude with great BMI, infact with the right mana on board this 1 drop creatures becomes a 3/3. Again I see this little dude in so many of the big name decks that he is certainly worth including here, and the fact that he is a common actually blew my mind a little, as he routinely sees event play within the maindeck of many a zoo.

4 x Kird Ape
-- An oldie but a goodie in my oppinion. He is not quite as good as the Wild Nactl; but he is another 1 drop and he can easily be a 2/3 that is hitting on turn 2+. He will probably get replaced by some insane creature such as Tarmogoyf but for now, he stays as I simply can't afford or trade for the big-goyf outright.

4 x Plated Geopede
4 x Steppe Lynx
-- These two I will address together as I feel they work in a similar enough fashion. They both get +2/+2 for each time a land is put into play during your turn. So they drop down for 1-2 and then hit for 4-5 if you can use a fetch type land to bring another land into play. They are so good at excellerating the beatdown that both are routinely found in current type 2 Boros Decks, as well as Extended and Legacy decks that use beatdown creatures. Some people add some Adventuring Gear to compound the pump; but for that is putting too many eggs in one basket, so I will be retaining my spell slots for other items. Eventually these two creatures will make room for other creatures such as Knight of the Reliquary, Figure of Destiny, Grim Lavamancer, Gaddock Teeg, Mother of Runes, Noble Hierarch, etc but understand that the deck might also see anywhere from 18-23 creatures as it evolves and I gather more info from playtesting. So far though, 20 creatures has been very solid so I am trying to retain it for the most part.

Other Pauper Creatures consider were Werebear (thanks to Mr. Safety), Wild Mongrel, Springing Tiger, Panther Warriors,

18 Spells

2 x Crop Rotation
-- I know it looks dumb to have even more Mana Fix in the deck; but consider that it will also allow me to bring an insane number of lands into play in one turn. Example, with a Plains and a Forest already in play, and a Stepp Lynx and/or a Plated Geopede also in play, you now play a Naya Panorama, use the Plains to trigger it and go get a Mountain, then you use the Forest to play your Crop Rotation (sacrificing the forest as well) to go and get another Forest. Wha-La your Stepp Lynx and/or Plated Geopede jsut got a +6/+6 pump, possibly on turn 3 to smach face for a whopping 13 damage (potentially). Actually you can do a +8/+8 pump if you use the Crop Rotation to go and grab another budget fetch land -- ouch. My eventual Proper deck will most likely use Sylvan Library in this place but for now, I figured that aside from the potential mana fix, the potential creature pump is also worth including at least a couple of these Crop Rotations.

2 x Rancor
-- I know its not equipment; but at least it's a gift that keeps on giving. Some will say that Adventuring gear would be better; but I prefer the hard +2 in this case, and Trample is nothing to scoff at. As the deck evolves I may or may not need equipment on bigger, meaner creatures so this slot could open up to something like Umezawa's Jitte but it could also turn into something like Green Sun's Zenith, or a plainswalker such as Elspeth, Knight-Errant; only time, playtests and of course cards availability will tell.

4 x Burst Lightning
2 x Fireblast
4 x Lightning Bolt
-- Basic burn or removal spells and the Lightning Bolt is so good at what it does that I doubt it will ever see a replacement. The B-lightning however is ok, at best and I would swap it for my Chain Lightnings in a second (if this were not Pauper). The fireblasts force me to run extra Mountains, so I am not a huge fan of retaining them indefinately; they will probably see some sort of replacement such as Lightning Helix.

4 x Journey to Nowhere
-- Another basic removal spell and it certainly works to exile darn near any enemy beater out there while giving you an option that is not red; however, it is no-where near as powerful or effecient as cards like Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile

And there you have it. A Pauper Zoo that can easily turn into a Proper Zoo with a little more card base and effort. I asure you that both versions work well within their respective formats, only your budget will dictate which is for you and/or when to use them. Have fun with that, and please do let me know if I missed out on something awesome, as I am always willing to learn and develop my game play; especially when other do the hard and dirty work such as research.

Oh wait, I forgot about the sideboard -- well not really; but I will keep this short.

Sideboard every deck should have some thought put into its sideboard and as this is what will take those close matches to winable, I feel that you should do a little homework in this area as well. Many think that some cards are no-brainers for sideboard; but I disagree. I like to look at decks that I have no hope to win against and forget trying to beat them, then look at easy decks and also forget about them; thus I focus on decks that are winable but tough match-ups and use my sideboard to try and hedge those tough match-ups into a more winable avenue.

With this Pauper Deck I went with the cards I knew, so fire away suggestions if you have them (add in when and why to use something please). Anyway, here are my choices.
2 x Nature's Claim -- Enchantment removal, instant and 1 drop.
3 x Werebear -- Well its a good beatstick that doesn't need pumping up, also offers more green to the deck.
3 x Seismic Shudder -- Direct damage to a creature in an instant format -- Flame Slash was also considered.
2 x Kor Hookmaster -- A way to get past the enemy line with my beaters.
2 x Kor Sanctifiers -- Another way to get rid of enemy artifacts or enchantments -- also considered the Werebear in this slot.
3 x Oblivion Ring -- A way to deal with any permenant in the game.

Eventually these will all be subbed out for things like: Naya Charm, Fauna Shaman, Leyline of Vitality, bojuka Bog, Price of Progress, Sulfuric Vortex, Tormod's Crypt, Mindbreak Trap, Gaddock Teeg, Krosan Grip, Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast, Choke, and host of other cards that present themselves to my fancy as the local meta is also a huge factor in sideboard choices not to mention card availablity.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment. Special thanks to Mr. Safety as his comments on the original deck did help me get to this point, as well as his multiple suggestions over the past few months (scattered here and there to me and many others - as I lurk more than I speak).

So while I am working on a "Proper Zoo" deck here is what I have on hand to use as my actual Zoo.

PS, for anyone wondering what I consider the Proper version of Legacy Zoo, here is a view of what I have in mind when I am done (or something along this line at least).

Obviously my Proper Zoo didn't follow my initial thoughts 100% to the letter; but it was guys in MTGFanatic that helped me get it to where it is currently, as my version was more expensive and less effective initially. It just goes to show how this thread has actually helped to refine some of my ideas and game play -- Thanks guys.

************ Update ***************

With the creation of the Modern Format I also did up a Pauper and Proper Modern Zoo to show you guys, they work the same way, but it might also help show how you can diversify to meet specific needs, etc.

Pauper Modern Zoo

Proper Modern Zoo

Cheers
Check out my MTG decks or my Altered Art cards, or my Abacus Lifes Counters, or my Custom Hand Drawn Playmats.
Proud member of the ITC - Archmage - 300+ Check out my Trade Binder Want list inside Spoiler
Spoiler (Click to View)

Check out the Deck Commenting Forum Game to help others with their decks, and get some FRP's.
emoticon emoticon CW's Welcome Party Tournament: 1st Place emoticon emoticon

5/25/2011

Swaggin
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate
Member of ITC
MyTradeBinder
Completed Trades With
Spoiler (Click to View)

Currently Trading With
Spoiler (Click to View)

5/26/2011

Mr. Safety
Short Bus All-Star

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Hey man, check this out (if you want):Casual Carnage: The Evolution of Gus

It's an article I wrote about 2 years ago as a favor for Tom (the Artificer) while he was grinding through his college finals and didn't have time to work an article in that week. It goes through the same principles, and I think you may actually gleen something from it. It was based on a casual deck, but the principles apply to any sort of project that improves over time. I'd love to hear your feedback on it.
Author of 'Roots', your weekly dose of fundamental magic.

Trading/ITC Stuff
Spoiler (Click to View)

5/30/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Alrighty then, on to Pauper Deck #2 and this one will be Blue as I know that there are plenty of Blue Fans out there.

So to re-iterate the Goal. To build a Pauper Deck (all Commons) that can be used to build/modle a Proper "Legacy Deck" as I gather the stronger, cheaper mana cost, faster cards (you know, the Money cards). This will allow me (or anyone else) to start with a very low budget (40-50 bucks) and work a deck into a Legacy beast over time. Anyway, a while back I actually built this blue Pauper Deck and I am also working on making it a Proper Legacy Deck; so without futher adue I present to you "moc065 Pauper Solidarity"

Now to keep in stride of this thread I will break it down for you all.

Mana Base yes it is super important in all decks, even if they are monoe in colour. This deck is mono U Symbol but don't be fooled by that, it is not an instant add 20 mana and go, as you will see.
16 land
16 x Island
Thats right, 16 Islands as you want enough to have the deck assemble some 3-4 mana by turn 4-5; but you don't want so much land that your forcing yourself into dead draws. Oh and speaking of Draws, that is one of the keys to this deck.

Draw Engine
4 x Deep Analysis
0 x Frantic Search -- had them here until they got banned.
4 x Impulse
4 x Ponder
4 x Preordain
3 x Words of Wisdom
4 x Ideas Unbound
-- OK, that is a lot of Draw Engine but understand that you need to get to the working cards as early as possible, and you also need to put the combo together as early as possible so Draw Engine is super important. Also, if you have the first have of the combo put together you can easily use the Draw Engine to find the other half of the combo as you go into the Win Condition.

Working Slots
4 x Merchant Scroll
2 x Gigadrowse
3 x Cloud of Faeries
-- These cards can be used to either allow you to search out a key component to the Win Condition once you have other parts assembled, or make sure your opponent is tapped out and thus they can't conter or control your Win Condition, or they can assist you to speep up your mana excelleration and dig during the first part of the Win Combo to allow you more freedom to dig out what you need to win the game.

(part 1)
4 x High Tide (you need 2 in hand)
4 x Snap (you need 1 in hand)
2 x Mnemonic Wall (you need 1 in hand)
realize that Merchant Scroll may be substituted in for any 1 of these cards above, but use it the turn before to put the combo together
(part 2)
1 x Capsize
2 x Compulsive Research
-- These cards are the Win Condition so read through how the combo works to make sure you have the right cards on hand to actually work the deck correctly. Oh and remember that you need to domonstrate the infinate loops 1-2 times to your opponent so that they understand the mechanics of it all; then you declare that you are making X number of mana, and/or forcing them to draw 3 cards X number of times.

Win Condition
Somewhere around turn 4-6 (but you can use the Draw engine turns 1-2-3 to assemble the first part)
Part 1 of combo -- you need 1-2x High Tide, 0-1x Mnemonic Wall, and 0-1x Snap in order to initiate this combo but you can insert a Merchant Scroll for any one missing component.
*** When you have 5 Islands on the field *** or 4 and a Cloud of Faries down with 2 Snap in hand ***
Step 1: Cast 2 copies of High Tide.
Step 2: Tap 3 Islands. Cast Mnemonic Wall recurring a High Tide. Cast it.
Stap 3: Cast Snap on Mnemonic Wall (paying 2 mana) untapping 2 Islands. Tap the 2 Islands (adding 6 mana). Recast Mnemonic Wall (paying 5 mana) recurring Snap.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 until you have infinite mana.
Part 2 of combo -- nice to have; but you can draw for it if you need to once the first part of the combo is assembled.
Step 5: Cast Capsize with buyback on Mnemonic Wall. Recast it recurring a draw spell of your choice. Cast that draw spell.
Step 6: Repeat step 5 until you have Compulsive Research in your hand.
Step 7: Cast Capsize with buyback on all lands and other mana sources your opponent controls.
Step 8: If your opponent floated mana, pass through your combat phase.
Step 9: Cast Compulsive Research targeting your opponent. Cast Mnemonic Wall recurring Compulsive Research. Cast Capsize with buyback on Mnemonic Wall.
Step 10: Repeat step 10 until your opponent runs out of cards.

Long and arduous at first, but man when it works it works well.

Sideboard I am still working on this part, so suggestions are more than welcome and I won't go into detail on how they work for now.
3 x Boomerang
3 x Dispel
4 x Disrupt
2 x Gigadrowse
3 x Hydroblast

Ok along with that, as you get a little more cash or some more card variety you can easly owrk the deck up to the next level by adding a few uncommons etc. In this version I added 5 uncommons to show how easy it can be (and inexpensive).

The Win-Condition is a little less arduous to get to, as you simply use the storm count on a Brain Freeze to Mill the guys libary and run him out of cards. Go for turn 3-4 but even turn 5-6 is not horrible so long as his deck is not that fast; as you do want to get some 10+ stomr counters and 2 Brain Freeze are always better than just one.

After that I searched around the web and found another version of the deck that uses a few more uncommons etc; but it also has a lot more consistency and style than the first two. I sent Steve a PM to make sure I can show off his deck first so please direct any questions to him on this one, as its his tech not mine. But I think that you will see how this deck can easily go off on turn 3-4 consistently, and it has enough gas to put the Win-Condition into effect vs a lot of top end Legacy decks.

OK, and for those that are wondering where my deck will eventually lead into or build into here is something close to what I would consider a Proper Legacy Solidarity deck. Excluded the as I don't have $1000.00 for a playset (seriously that is nuts).

Obvioulsy those versions of Solidarity are very very different as the Proper Version is more consistent, and has way fewer creatures as it relies more on Instants than anything else so that you can actually pull it off during your opponents upkeep. but those Decks all showcase importants tech within the architecture itself.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all the comments people made both here and with the individual deck pages themselves.

Cheers
Check out my MTG decks or my Altered Art cards, or my Abacus Lifes Counters, or my Custom Hand Drawn Playmats.
Proud member of the ITC - Archmage - 300+ Check out my Trade Binder Want list inside Spoiler
Spoiler (Click to View)

Check out the Deck Commenting Forum Game to help others with their decks, and get some FRP's.

6/2/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
It is now time for the next installment of Pauper to Proper and for this one I will be doing a Red-Sligh. I know that many people only see this as a Deck and not a Deck to Watch or even close to a Deck to Beat; but honestly, the Sligh has the potential to actually win vs any deck if you can put out the damage fast enough. Yes I agree that post Hate the Sligh is very week; but lets face it, those Hate cards are there for a reason.

Anyway here is my version of Pauper Sligh, I am not quit done the Sideboard; but I am open to suggestions.

OK, you saw the price tag and you took a step back; well no-one said that Pauper was alway cheap. In fact some of the best cards ever made were/are commons and due to their utility they simply command a fair price as well. Chain Lightning from Legends is simply a $15.00 card so those 4x alone make up the bulk of this price tag.

Anyway lets go over the cards and see we can take this little deck to make it Proper.

Mana Base As usual I will start with the mana base as this truely is one of the most important parts of all decks. In this case we can easily go below the normal starting curve of 20-24 lands because we intend on having the entire deck run on 1 Symbol-2 Symbol drops and we are not intending on having anything in the deck be a pumper.

18 Land
4 x Forgotten Cave
14 x Mountain
The Forgotten Cave is often overlooked as it does CIP-tapped. However, it also allows you to cycle it out for R Symbol to draw another card. This may be key in the late game as drawing a basic land would probably be a dead draw; but the Forgotten Cave might give you an extra chance to draw into that finishing card and win the game. Aside from that, if you darw a mana fat hand to begin with you could do a T1, mountain taps to cycle cave out and draw a potentially better card. So for me it stays in the deck for now although I might reduce it to a 3x at some point. Obviously I need some basic lands so I included 14 to start with which brings my mana base up to 18 total. This is probably a little mana fat for a Sligh but its a good starting point and we can always trim down to 17 or 16 later on if we find that the deck supports those numbers.

Creatures - 17 All Slighs have creatures as this is what defines them from a Burn Deck and believe me there is a huge difference between the 2 decks; maybe not in the end result, but in how they often play out. We dont need a lot of Creatures and in general 12-16 is about the right number of creature to use within a Sligh Deck. I will go over each of these individually as I feel the merit the discussion.

3 x Keldon Marauders -- OK some say that he doesn't last long enough to be viable; but seriously a creature that can do one damage on the way in, block once, attack once for 3, and then be used with Fling for 3 extra, and also do one more damage on the way out is a bargain for a mere 2 mana. I actually see this guy as being viable within proper Legacy decks and he was an instant auto include for me in this deck. If the mana base gets adjusted, then this is the first thing that I will add +1 to.
4 x Kiln Fiend -- This little dude is insanely powerful in the right circumstances, so for synergy we will want to run some 20+ instants and soceries within our main deck. I might have gone a little nuts in this department; but for now I am going heavy on the spells and I can add other creatures later shouold I find the deck warrents it.
3 x Spark Elemental -- A mini Ball Lightning for R Symbol. WOW, I'll take that and drive it home as it saves some of the intants for later usage.
4 x Simian Spirit Guide -- OK he is week on the ground; but he is also there for posible mana as this deck is all about speed. If I use one on T1 I can cast a Kiln Fiend and be attacking for an insane amount of damage in T2 (actually the deck can go leathal on T2 due to this little dude). think it through and you will see the synergy; although this is also a reason that I might be able to trim the mana base down to 16 total (possibly freeing up 2 slots).
3x Mogg Fanatic -- as its a great little R Symbol drop dude that can attack or just throw damage as he vacates the premises.

Spells - 26 I wanna drop 7 items that can pound my opponent for 3 damage each and thus take him out in short order. The creatures actually help to speed up the process and give diversity; but the focus of the deck is still going to be direct damage. Here is the lowdown on the cards.
3 x Fireblast -- Forget the 4 SymbolR SymbolR Symbol to cast, this is in here as a finisher by sacrificing a couple mountains to smack down its 4 Symbol damage. The littel bit of extra damage can also help with some of the fatties in the opposing line as well.
4 x Incinerate -- 2 Mana for 3 damage, and the bonus is that if you target a creature it won't get regenerated in this turn.
4 x Lava Spike -- I wish it were an instant; but its a R Symbol drop and cranks out 3 Symbol damage so its good overall.
4 x Lightning Bolt --R Symbol drop that cranks out 3 Symbol damage and its an instant.
3 x Needle Drop -- It cast cheap for R Symbol and I know its only 1 damage; but sometimes that is all you need, and you do get the bonus of a card draw to replace the cantrip with.
4 x Rift Bolt -- 2 SymbolR Symbol not, I simply use the R Symbol suspended cost to have it fire off next turn. It does 3 Symbol damage and I like it; but I am also open to suggestions to change it out to something instant.
4 x Chain Lightning -- R Symbol drop that puts down 3 Symbol damage. Yes the opponent can also use it when you cast it; but it costs him double and he does need to have the R SymbolR Symbol in house.

Sideboard
3 x Burst Lightning -- More Damage, what can I say
3 x Searing Blaze -- OK its 2 mana; but with landfall it is another 3 damage where and when you need it, and the bare minimum its 1 shot of damage to use.
3 x Act of Treason -- steal a creature and use it to beat your opponents face in.
3 x Fling -- OK, now that you have the opponents creature, throw it at him -- after you beat his face in with it. Or just fling one of your own dudes to finish the opponent off.
3 x Red Elemental Blast -- Because red hates blue, its that simple.

For those on a tighter budget here is an alternative build that is way cheaper -- or at least shows some simply alternative options.

4 x Chain Lightning == 4 x Jackal Pups
3 x Fireblast
4 x Incinerate
4 x Kiln Fiend
4 x Lava Spike == 4 x Kindle
4 x Lightning Bolt
3 x Mogg Fanatic
3 x Keldon Marauders
3 x Needle Drop
4 x Rift Bolt
4 x Simian Spirit Guide
3 x Spark Elemental == 3 x Goblin Bushwhacker

I hope that helps

Here is my version of a Proper Legacy Sligh and although it is a little out of the norm, trust me when I tell you that it works, and its cheap (Seriously cheap is you consider what other Legacy decks can go for).

Thanks once again for reading and I hope to continue this thread with other decks; and I would seriously love to hear from others on what they are doing so that I can incorperate their ideas and decks in here for others to see.

Cheers
Spoiler (Click to View)

6/3/2011

Hulk
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Unknown
Well moc065 said he wouldn't mind if I posted my deck in here. So I shall.

I thought I'd give this pauper idea a go. As soon as I saw an example deck using some Evil Presence and Contaminated Grounds, I wanted to know if my Sinkholes (from my pox deck)were commons or not. They are!

This is what the deck evolved into. I initially thought some swamp walking action would be sweet, but it is currently been set aside. Perhaps I’ll fit it into the sideboard for black on black match ups at some point, or build another deck. This is really just for fun, no pauper tournaments around here, but it is fun to build decks and try and make them work well in the format. That being said, I know nothing about the format besides what a few friends have told me.

This deck has 16 ways to mess up your land, and 15 ways to kill your creatures. I am hopping to stall until I get a Twisted Abomination down and then smoke you with a corrupt for at least 6. There will probably be some small beating from Augur of Skulls, Crypt Rats, and Gravedigger.

The land hate:
Evil Presence
Sinkhole
Contaminated Grounds
Befoul

Evil Presence will turn their first land into a swamp turn one.
Sinkhole will take out there second land turn 2.
Contaminated grounds will be there turn two if there is no Sinkhole.
Befoul will be there to continue the land hate come turn 4 if needed. It may kill a creature instead, or perhaps be used to take out somebody’s last land in a certain color.

The creature hate:
Doom blade is going to wreck a lot of creatures for just two mana. It won’t hit black creatures, I’ll get to that in a bit.
Befoul is there for late game removal, it also won’t hit black creatures.
Crypt Rats will take out swarms of creatures.
Unmake will get rid of lots of stuff including regenerators.

My creatures:
Augur of Skulls early will be a waste, he’ll probably get killed and you won’t be able to regenerate him. So if I do land him early and I have other things to cast for the next few turns, I’ll probably just sac him during my next upkeep to hurt my opponent’s hand. Mid to late game he will be a great blocker with his regeneration.

Crypt Rats use is obvious. When they have more creatures then I can handle, he’ll be there to save my ass!
Twisted Abomination is there has a huge beat stick. You better Journey to Nowhere him because he is a 5/3 that can regenerate for one black mana! He also swampcycles for 2 mana which will help out early on.
Gravedigger is there recur my other creatures. They all have a way of sending themselves to the graveyard besides my opponents taking them out. It will be great to get second use out of them.

Corrupt. The other day I managed to slow down my friend playing affinity to the point where he was top decking. I ended up hitting him with one of these boys for 11 to seal the deal. Besides using it as a finisher, it may be needed if you have been getting beat and need to get rid of a creature and gain some life to survive. Killing a creature and a 12 point life swing. Awesome. I know that it is costly, but it seems like a killer spell for pauper.

Sideboarding Options:
Duress
Hymn to Tourach
Cemetery Gate
Eyeblight’s Ending
Pestilence

This will probably be ever changing, but there are two matchups I want it to cover. Combo and (Mono)Black

Combo
I think this deck will stand up vs combo with 12 early spells to wreck there lands if they need it. Four cards that will cause them to toss two away, Augur of Skulls, should also help.. After sideboarding all I can say is good luck. There will be 4 Duress’ and 4 Hymn to Tourachs.

Mono Black
Oh boy, I have a lot of useless cards main board. I probably won’t win vs a mono black deck. I will need to sideboard out the Doom blade’s , Befoul, Evil Presence, and Contaminated grounds which is enough to bring in my whole sideboard.

A friend pointed out Pestilence and Cemetery Gate is a cruel combo. and I like it. I may even attempt to change the deck to fit that combo main board.

I suspect this deck will also underperform vs mono color decks. It will be the strongest against decks running three or more colors. Like moc065’s Zoo. I’ll see you on MWS.

I'm looking for any suggestions and ideas.
Proud member of ITC -- Acolyte -- Hulk -- 19 trades
Deck Commenting Forum Game with FRP

6/3/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Thanks for posting that in here Hulk, I would love for you to add the show of your mor Proper mono-black version of Pox as well if you could, as it shows more card variety; but it also shows the power of the working common in nearly every deck.

As for suggestions, well you already gave me a number of good games on MWS with this deck and I appreciate them. I think the Cemetary Gate is worthy of maindeck use as you are using the Crypt Rats and that combo is a mirror of the Pestilence combo. I would +2 Cemetary Gate, -1 Befoul and -1 Swamp; it's a razor's edge, but fortune also favours the bold in many cases. This would also free up 2 slots in your Sideboard which could be dedicated to other Hate as you see more games vs different decks out there.

PS.. So far you have always been giving my Pauper Zoo a very good run for the money, and I also think that you have serious potential vs my Pauper Solidarity; but you are having some issues vs the mono-red Pauper Sligh so maybe look for Hate cards in that direction. Oh and a 0/5 blocker is not a bad things vs the red Creatures out there so that is just one more reason I think that +2 Cemetary Gate maindeck is not a bad idea.

Cheers and thanks a lot for posting that as I would love to see more and more people putting their Pauper Ideas in here so that the community can enjoy and learn from them.

Spoiler (Click to View)

6/3/2011

Hulk
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Unknown
I'd love to hear any more ideas for cards vs Sligh.

Alright I made some changes.
Cut:
-1 Swamp
-1 Befoul
-1 Augur OF Skulls
-1 Pestilence

Added:
+1 Twisted Abomination to MB
+3 Tendrils of Corruption to SB (My best idea vs burn decks besides the Duress' and Hymns)

Moved around:
3 Cemetery Gates to MB
1 Augur of Skulls to SB
Proud member of ITC -- Acolyte -- Hulk -- 19 trades
Deck Commenting Forum Game with FRP

6/17/2011

Don't Daze Me Bro!
Acolyte

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
I love this thread, it is a great information guide to different legacy formats. Just a head's up, Frantic search is on one of the high tide deck lists and Frantic Search is actually banned in legacy format. So, as much as I would love to play it, you cannot play it in Legacy format.
So a baby seal walks into a club...

6/20/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Good eye Steve and now I get to fix the Pauper Solidarity deck as Frantic Search wasn't banned when I made the list (ideas welcome). For now I will up the usage of other cards in the deck to make up for the -4 Frantic Search.

Crap I really liked that card.

Cheers
Spoiler (Click to View)

6/22/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
OK guys it is time for the next deck in this series and I see a little involvement from others so I guess that I am not the only Pauper and Legacy player out there.

Orzhov has always been an interesting combination of cards to me, so although this deck is not 100% optimized I hope to have included every Orzhov card out there (those that actually have both B SymbolW Symbol in there gold mana cost, or are pure B/W Symbol Hybrids. I had to put a few non-Orzhov cards into the Sideboard but that is simply because I ran out of pauper Orzhov cards to use. If I missed something; please let me know.

OK, so Here Goes.

Deck List
Mana (20) -- this is not all pure mana; but you certainly need mana to run a deck and these items get you mana and hopefully the numbers are good to run the two colours smoothly. This number might need to go up to 22 but playtests are required to determine that part.
2 x Orzhov Basilica -- Weird Land that forces you to pick up a land to play it and it EIP-tapped; but it gives both colours of mana at once so its an auto-include in my books. Besides that I actually like the way the name sounds.
2 x Orzhov Signet -- OK, its an artifact; but it does get you mana so its in here.
8 x Plains -- basic land; but I still feel that you gotta have it.
8 x Swamp -- basic land; but I still feel that you gotta have it.

Creatures (22) -- Now this will look a bit creature heavy; but that was my point as this is meant to be a beatdown style deck, and you sort of need either lots of creatures or really strong creatures to beatdown an opponent. I went with a mix of both; but its actually all the Orzhov Creatures I could find at a max include size.
3 x Vectis Dominator -- Not a huge creature by any means; but he can get your guys past enemy lines and he is a blocker to buy you time.
4 x Blind Hunter -- Weird Haunt thing going on; but it does infer damage without even doing anything so I like it in a way.
4 x Harvest Gwyllion -- Weird Wither thing going on; but -1/-1 counters to enemy creatures does have its bonuses as well. Oh and he is a decent blocker.
4 x Mourning Thrull -- Nothing super special aside from being a 2 drop Flying Lifelink dude.
4 x Nightsky Mimic -- OK, 2/1 on the outside and 4/4 flyer hiding inside. I like this guy and he will beat the face off of a lot of opponents.
3 x Nip Gwyllion -- Another lifelink dude, and he is dirt cheap to cast so that rounds out the mana curve as well.

Spells (19) -- I grabbed every Orzhov Pauper spell I could find and shoved them into the deck in numbers that I thought complimented the deck.
4 x Castigate -- I like this one as I get to pick what gets tosses and I see their whole hand.
2 x Pillory of the Sleepless -- Not awesome overall; but it deals outside damage while it stalls the opponents board.
4 x Unmake -- Goodbye to enemy creature, I do like this even if it's a 3 drop.
3 x Beckon Apparition -- not huge but it can make sure that an enemy creature doesn't return from the dead, or give me a chump flyer.
4 x Edge of the Divinity -- +3/+3 to any of my creatures, well that is a good thing for sure.
2 x Batwing Brume -- It's like using Fog, only with benefits.

Sideboard (15) -- I know that there are better cards; but theme is important for me to start with. Optimized cards woudl be the second version of this deck to built it into a more competitive Pauper Orzhov deck as you add non-orzhov cards. Feel free to make suggestions in both regards though.
3 x Tendrils of Corruption -- Smacks out damage and gives life so its certainly in the theme of the deck.
2 x Pillory of the Sleepless -- Not awesome overall; but it deals outside damage while it stalls the opponents board.
3 x Soul Link -- Gives your dude (or even an enemy blocker) the ability to pass life on to your for it's troubles.
1 x Batwing Brume -- You never know, you just might need to avoid getting run over.
3 x Circle of Protection: Red -- Obvioiulsy it protects you form some red sources of damage.
3 x Oblivion Ring -- takes care of anything that creature based removal simply can't handle.

OK and now on to what might be considered a Proper Orzhov deck; although once again I kept this very much in theme so there are no cards that do not use both B SymbolW Symbol of use a hybrid B/W Symbol in there casting cost. Yes I am sure that this deck could be tweeked to work better; so feel free to comment either here or within the deck itself.

Thanks in advance and Cheers
Spoiler (Click to View)

6/28/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Working another Pauper Deck into the mix

Merfolk And before you say that Pauper Merfolk can't be done because the control package is too weak, there is a distinct lack of +1/+1 boost lords, and there is no way to vial stuff into play; lets put aside the super competitive part of Legacy/Pauper and think theme for a bit. Then lets try to use some imagination and have fun with it as well.

Anyway, here is what I came up with (although I am sure some guys could really help me to refine this deck list out).

Here is the run down on the deck and you might find that it actually can get a fair bit of card advantage, has ways to pump guys up and get Islandwalk, and it has a fari bit of Control; so it is not that far removed from a Proper Legacy Aggro-Control Merfolk Deck.

Deck List
Spells
2 x Aquitect's Will -- Merfolk Tribal Aura that gives your opponent an Island and you probably gain a card. Also helps with the mana curve as it gives you a 1 drop.
2 x Spreading Seas -- It costs one more than Aquitect's Will; but it makes the land an Island outright and still gets you card replacement even without a Merfolk present.
4 x Arcane Denial -- Part of the control package and I know it offers your opponent card replacement; but it's a hard counter and you get a card as well.
4 x Counterspell -- Easy counter with no non-sense what so ever.
2 x Spell Pierce -- Cheap 1 drop control vs anything non creature based. Might help with early game; but will lose power as the game goes one, vs opponents with stall tacktics the Mana Leaks from the SB are easy swaps.
2 x Mana Leak -- Cheap and easy control vs anything, especially powerful early game and then it gets less and less effective.
4 x Unstable Mutation
Note: with 11 cards in the Control Package there is good odds to get at east one in your opener. This is a bit of an Aggro-Control deck you you need to play it accordingly.

Creatures
2 x Enclave Elite -- Islandwalk and can get pumped if he is kicked so he can be larger than expected.
4 x Halimar Wavewatch -- Cheap blocker that can level up to grow and/or gain Islandwalk
4 x Skywatcher Adept -- 1 drop that can level up to grow and fly - He is only a 1 Symbol drop but he requires 3 Symbol to level up and thus I cut him off at only 3 in the deck instead of 4.
2 x Streambed Aquitects -- Can be used to pump up another dude and give Islandwalk, or can be used to make an opposing land into an island. Works during opponents upkeep as well as a stall feature.
3 x Venerated Teacher -- He can pump up all the levelers such as halimar wavewatch and skywatcher adept. If I had more levelers I might add another one of these; but for now 2 seams decent.
3 x Stonybrook Banneret -- He comes with Islandwalk, and he makes all my Merfolk 1 Symbol cheaper to cast. Not quite cheating them in; but it certainly won't hurt and it might leave some mana open for more control features.
2 x Inkfathom Divers -- It's a fatty for this deck as it costs a bucket load to cast; but it is a 3/3 and it gives you a pretty decent library manipulation as well.
Land
17 x Island -- nothing fancy here; although I am totally open to sugegstions
4 x Halimar Depths -- It's a way to retain blue mana and scry into your library to give you some card manipulation.

Sideboard
3 x Adventuring Gear -- Nothing to special just a way to pump your guys up faster with landfall. Open to ideas on this one as all it does is possibly speed up the clock.
3 x Echoing Truth -- no brainer to me, as it bounces tokens like no tomorrow, or anything else for that matter; but it has the added bonus to bag mulitples if there are any on the table.
3 x Negate -- Counter even if conditional, can come in to augement the Control Package or swap in for Spell Pierce as needed.
3 x Unsummon -- Boing return that creature to take care of fatties and possibly counter them later.
3 x Bojuka Bog -- pure graveyard hate, nothing special and can go in for islands or for added mana if your putting the adventuring gear in as well.

Other merfolk/cards considered were/are:
Silvergill Douser
Merfolk Spy
Rootwater Commando
Deeptread Merrow
and a host of dirty cheap control cards such as Negate, Turn Aside, etc.

Some cards were set as 2-3 off instead of 4 off to allow for variety as well.

So now lets compare that with a Proper Legacy Merfolk Deck

And here is a little comparison for you Proper vs Pauper.
Deck List
Artifacts
4 x AEther Vial --- Stonybrook Banneret

Spells
Mental Misstep --- Spell Pierce
Daze --- Arcane Denial
Force of Will --- Counterspell

Creatures
Coralhelm Commander --- Skywatcher Adept
Cursecatcher ---
Lord of Atlantis ---
Merfolk Sovereign ---
Merrow Reejerey ---
Silvergill Adept or Standstill ---
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner and/or Sower of Temptation ---

OK, the Creatures simply don't trade out one for one; but the combination of the Pauper Creatures does actually allow for a very good Mana Curve with a lot of the bases covered that a Proper merfolk deck would target towards.

All of these Pauper and Proper decks continue to grow and evolve as I gain more esperience within the formats and card knowledge; so honestly, if this helps you out let me know. And if you have any ideas or comments feel free to add them, as I am totally open to suggestions and some free education.

***************************************************************************************

With the recent additional format of Modern taking shape, I thought that I would also do a Modern Version of my Merfolk. I looked through cards I owned and came up with this. I am open to suggestions; but honestly I think this is actually a good budget version of Merfolk for Legacy as well as a legal Modern Merfolk deck.

Cheers
Spoiler (Click to View)

8/10/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Time for another installment for Pauper to Proper. And for this one I actually went backwards in thought pattern as I wanted to pauper out some sort of U SymbolW Symbol Caw-Blade that was the DTB in Standard for the bulk of 2010 up to the time JTMS got banned in Standard for early 2011.

Anyway, obviously I have no mechanism such as Jace, the Mind Sculptor or Stoneforge Mystic to work with; but I can still put together a fairly decent build using the Caw-Gear/Blade engine and some other ways to fetch out some gear/blades as well as some ways to manipulate my deck or the opponents like JTMS did so well.

Anyway, here is where I am at, and after the deck view I will do a run down on the cards and how they are supposed to work, etc.

Creatures First I want about 12-16 decent creatures to give me board presence while still leaving me room for other items.

* 4 x Squadron Hawk: He is the name-sake of the deck; evasion with flying, the ability to search out his brethren, and he is a cheap common that casts for a decent 1 SymbolW Symbol.
* 3 x Trinket Mage: awesome search effect for 0-1 drop artifacts just like the Stonefroge Mystic does for larger cast artifacts. He does cost a little more than SFM, and has limits; but he is a digger and he should work.
* 3 x Mulldrifter: I always liked this guy in other pauper decks I faced as his card draw (even if only evoked out) give options, and if he actually lands on the board he is not useless by any means.
* 3 x Guardian of the Guildpact: Protection from mono-coloured, WHAT ! I love it. Yes he is tougher to cast at a 4 drop; but this is pauper where there are many fewer hybrid/gold cards in play so he could actually turn into a win condition in his own right.
* 1 x Flayer Husk: not exactly the greatest of creatures, but it is a 1 Symbol drop living weapon which means that I can dig for it with the T-Mage and if it dies it becomes a piece of useful equipment for others to benefit from.

Artifacts were next as the Trinket Mage can dig for them and they would be the gear that helps the creatures achieve their win condition of beating face while also preventing our death.

* 1 x Sylvok Lifestaff: One of the silliest and easiest ways to gain life in the Pauper format, I can dig for it with the T-Mages, and it is a gift that keeps on giving.
* 1 x Viridian Longbow: I can dig for it, it turns any creature into a "Tim" so you can really use it for crowd control when facing smaller enemy dudes, and it can slowly attrition out an enemy that you can't actually attack into.
* 1 x Bonesplitter: I can dig for it, it adds beef to any creatures power, and it is cheap to equip. I was thinking that three pieces of gear might be enough; but then I remembered one other item that I am very fond of.
* 1 x Accorder's Shield: Cast for free, I can dig for it, adds bulk to a creatures toughness but more importantly it grants vigilance and on some of my creatures that could be a bomb in itself. OK, it's not cheap to equip; but this is pauper so you can't always get everything in one package.

Control Package came next for me, as I won't have JTMS holding my back.

* 4 x Counterspell: One of the best control cards ever invented, a little tougher to cast at U SymbolU Symbol; but it can handle almost any card in the game, and I will have to protect against certain cards of doom vs my small army.
* 3 x Mana Leak: A little easier to cast, but it's effect gets tougher to pull off as the game goes on, so I culled it to a 3-off. I also considered a host of other control cards and some will say that I should have at least 11 to get on in my opener; but I simply need some room for other things.
* 2 x Journey to Nowhere: controls some insane creature that gets past the other stuff. It's not fancy, it is cheap to cast, and I have lots of them.
* 3 x Capsize: Ok, it is not exactly control; but it can seal the enemies fate like very few other cards as it can be recurring and eventually it can even turn into a win condition on it's own.

Things to help the engine run smoother Serioulsy I don't have enough recursion to get always get what I need/want, so draw engines are a must.

* 4 x Brainstorm: I have lots of these and I love them, I also have plenty of ways to shuffle my deck if I need to rotate some lesser cards out of the way. For me, this was a no-brainer.
* 4 x Ponder: I could have just as eaily gone with Preordain in this slot, I had these in hand so in they went and you can pick whatever works for you. I do like having one more option to shuffle up the library though.
* 3 x Momentary Blink: I know this one might look weird to some; but blinking a Hawk will get you another, so no need to overfill you hand early. Blinking a Mage will get me more gear. oh, it also has flashback, so need I say more.

Finally -- Land I actually do this part first; but tweek my initial resources at the end of my deck construction. I have plenty of Diggers, Thinners, and ways to find mana, so 20 should be enough.

* 2 x Island and * 3 x Plains: basic lands and you sort of need them.
* 3 x Terramorphic Expanse: mana fixer.
* 2 x Ancient Den * 2 x Seat of the Synod: Artifacts so I can dig for them (blink)
* 4 x Cloudpost * 4 x Glimmerpost: icing on the cake as this is another engine that can be great for lifegain to buy me time to get to a win condition.

Sideboard
* 3 x Blue Elemental Blast -- vs Red and nothing more to say about it. Hydroblast would do the same thing.
* 3 x Benevolent Unicorn -- Helps to keep burn cards from wasting my dudes.
* 4 x Dust to Dust -- Affinity decks.
* 2 x Journey to Nowhere -- for when I need more removal, you know, those can't be countered idots creatures.
* 3 x Kor Sanctifiers -- Affinity and or Enchantments.

Part 2 And I could go straight to the Legacy deck part; but I will divert to show how Caw-Blade actually didn't fall right out of the loop after the ban of Jace, the Mind Scuptor and Stoneforge Mystic. It actually remained as one of the top tier Standard decks up to today (12 Aug 2011 at least), and here is one deck to show how it worked (Deck Played by Marcello Calvetta. And Placed 1st in Nationals 2011 - Italy -- Although historically there are plenty of Caw-Blades placing top 8 in major events all over).

So lets take a quick look at why this deck still works. It's actually pretty simple, Control into Evasion with plenty of Augmentation to get the job done more often.
Spellskite, Mana Leak, Spell Pierce, Into the Roil, and Dismember all offer up control in some way; thus buying the deck time to establish. Jace Beleren, Preordain, and Squardon Hawks all get you some card advantage. Inkmoth Nexus, Squadron Hawks, Mirran Crusader, Spellskite, Celestial Colonade, and Gideon Jura can all beat down, with Swords of Feast and Famine to Augment their attack while resetting the mana base, etc. His mana is super effecient and even the Tectonic Edge can stall an opponent off of particular items. Aside from that, the Sideboard really hits the current meta of Tempered Steel Decks, RDW's Decks, Birthing-Pod decks, etc. All in all I like the concept of this deck for standard play at present; eventhough I am not using it for myself (as I am building to beat it).

Part 3 Proper Legacy Caw-Blade.

Again this is not my deck; although I am slowly getting so many of the parts together for other decks that I might as well build something very close at some point to use for myself. This deck was Played by Tom Strong. And Placed 1st in Grand Prix Providence Trial @ Die Hard Games (May-2011)

I do like this version of U SymbolW Symbol Caw-Blade although I would tweek it slightly to fit my met a little better.
-2 Preordain +3 Mental Misstep (MB) +3 not +2 because I usually play 61 cards not 60
-1 Sword of Feast and Famine +1 Sword of Body and Mind (SB)
-1 Umezawa's Jitte +1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress (SB)

Anyway, you should have a relitively decent idea on how the U SymbolW Symbol Caw-Balde mechanism works by now, and using whatever budget you have, find a deck that suits your style.

Cheers and thanks for reading this far (Any requests on other decks to cover, as I did this one for a friend).

Spoiler (Click to View)

8/11/2011

Theodore
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate

Ok so after reading thses posts i decided to do my own. This is Artifacts. I dont know what the deck should look like proper (most likely an affinity deck) but this is my first iteration of the deck. A bunch of cheap artifacts that fuel riddlesmith or myr enforcer so i can start to beat you. Cranial Plating is here to help and riddlesmith helps to dig for it. Disciple of the Vault punishes opponents for killing your artifacts.

Here ive added a sideboard and changed some cards.

-2 Counterspell, -2 Override

+4 Atog

Honestly for now i feel cutting out the counterspells and such for another win condition is a better option and gives me the ability to be more resistant. Later on i will be adding back counterspells and the like but for now i feel the deck doesnt need them.

At this point im looking at making the deck a Blue Black artifact deck. I will be posting my rough draft soon.

So i decided to do an Affinity deck as the finished product. Here is the deck:

I cut out the idea of using and counterspell support and made the deck a combo deck.

Card Choices:

I kept the 3 free creatures, Ornithopter, Memnite, Phyrexian Walker. They are neccesary for nuts drops and are able to help me combo out on turn 1 possibly.

Arcbound Ravager and Disciple of the Vault are the main wincons of the deck.

Glimpse of Nature and Vedalken Aethermage help me to burn through my deck to dig for what i need.

Thoughtcast draws me two cards for a U

Pika, Pikachuuuu!

For those off you looking to start building legacy or vintage decks look at this thread: From Pauper to Proper I hope this helps.

Thanks moc065

Any thoughts on Battle of Wits

8/12/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Awesome to hear from you Theodore and Affinity is a very cool Pauper deck archetech so I really do appreciate it. I sent you some ideas on how to refine your deck a little and seriously, we could easily tune it into a viable Legacy proper deck as Affinity is a very established deck in that format.

Thanks for the reply and I also sent you a quick how to on coding, so that you could actually post the Deck View of your deck to make it easier for others.

I welcome more people to join this thread, as I would love to see a number of other decks done up in this style; and otherwise I will have to do all the work myself (and I am a little on the lazy side sometimes, so help me out if you have any ideas what so ever -- please).

Cheers
Spoiler (Click to View)

8/12/2011

Theodore
Knight

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate
Well my question to you Moc is do you think Affinity will be easier or U/B Art?
Pika, Pikachuuuu!

For those off you looking to start building legacy or vintage decks look at this thread: From Pauper to Proper I hope this helps.

Thanks moc065

Any thoughts on Battle of Wits

9/7/2011

mbn451
MTG Fanatic

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
A really easy one to do would be to go from pauper classic storm to legacy ANT style storm.

9/20/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Your welcome to add those 2-3 decks to the thread mbn451 as I would love to see a Pauper form of ANT style storm.

Cheers.
Spoiler (Click to View)

9/20/2011

mbn451
MTG Fanatic

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Ok, as requested here is a pauper style classic storm deck:

Main Deck
60 cards

4 Ancient Spring
4 Irrigation Ditch
4 Sulfur Vent
12 lands

0 creatures

4 Cabal Ritual
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Dark Ritual
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Grapeshot
4 Ideas Unbound
4 Lotus Petal
4 Manamorphose
4 Ponder
4 Rite of Flame
48 other spells

Sideboard
2 Compulsive Research
3 Duress
1 Echoing Decay
3 Flaring Pain
3 Goblin Bushwhacker
3 Shred Memory
15 sideboard cards

Basically the strategy is simple-you play some saclands for a turn or two, and then start sacing and casting spells/cantrips to build mana and draw cards until you can hit a huge warrens/grapeshot. The deck does very well online and can kill turn 2 (especially with bushwhacker) somewhat consistently. The deck can have a hard time against heavy disruption and the tokens can be hit by echoing truth etc but it is almost unstoppable against decks that can't interact and it is very, very fast.

9/20/2011

mbn451
MTG Fanatic

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Here is an intermediate list that drops red in favor of blue draw and consistency. This deck is not as expensive as one would imagine. Also note that the mana base has changed from saclands to real lands and this allows the deck to potentially go off a few times instead of one single all-in turn as would be seen with the pauper version:

Classic Storm-Intermediate Build
Spells (43)
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Lotus Petal
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Infernal Tutor
2 Diabolic Tutor
1 Ad Nauseam
2 Ill-Gotten Gains
2 Tendrils of Agony
4 Duress
2 Distress

Lands (17)
4 Watery Grave (can of course be subbed out for something less expensive if budget is an issue)
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Verdant Catacombs
5 Island
4 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

9/20/2011

mbn451
MTG Fanatic

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
And here is the fully powered Legacy Build. The deck is not overall extremely expensive considering it runs only two duals and no FoW, but the Grim Tutors are very expensive and LEDs are not cheap at all either. For 1 more mana you could play Diabolic Tutor instead of Grim Tutor, and with ANT in play saving life isn't always such a bad idea anyways.

Legacy ANT storm-Full powered:

Spells (43)
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Infernal Tutor
2 Grim Tutor
1 Ad Nauseam
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
1 Tendrils of Agony
4 Duress
2 Thoughtseize

Lands (17)
4 Polluted Delta
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Verdant Catacombs
3 Island
2 Swamp
2 Underground Sea

9/23/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Thanks a lot mbn451 as those decks look great and your added comments and suggestions should really help others to take that route should they want to. And considering that the Pauper version is probably around $65.00 or less to assemble I don't think that it is too far outside of most people capabilities.

It reminds me of my Solidarity build in that when it goes off it is a wonderful thing to watch; but it can also fall flat on it's face to Control, etc.

Glass Cannon with a potenitally huge first and only shot.

Cheers.

Spoiler (Click to View)

9/23/2011

Kim

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Intermediate
I need to work in my Griffin Pauper.
Play League of Legends! Sign up with this link and help me get some gold. emoticon

"Every merfolk for himself, and Lord of Atlantis for all."
~Gaúcho proud~

Trade Binder

~ ITC Member~ Mage [23 trades]
Trade History:
Spoiler (Click to View)

9/23/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Sure and when you get it tooled down a bit more, use the (mtgdeck) function code to post it in here for the rest of use to help you as well, and for others to learn from it.

I do like Griffens, and in the old days I remember a U/W version that was over the top (Mirrage block and earlier).

Cheers
Spoiler (Click to View)

9/24/2011

BigDaddyDre
FFA Beatdown King

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
This thread is epic Moc. You should speak with Jeff Zandi (Zanman) about maybe making this into an actual Legacy article or something, and like on here, you can feature other people's decks and such. I think it would be a great read, as it already is, but it would give people better access to the information.
Just a thought. I'd love to try this, but I don't have much experience with either Pauper or Legacy. My decks are usually mostly rare..emoticon.
Proud Canadian and Fanatic. I am one of MtGFanatic's moderators.
President of the ITC, Archmage - 250 Trades completed with 105 different members
Trade threads
Dre's Trade Gallery

Trader Reputation
Spoiler (Click to View)

9/26/2011

moc065
MTG Geezer

Profile Image
Threads Started:
Forum Posts:
Skill Level:
Advanced
Thanks a lot BigDaddyDre, I had not considered that idea but maybe I will, thanks for your note of confidence and praise.

Cheers.
Spoiler (Click to View)

1 2